SmartLipo Patients Maintain Results with Diet & Exercise
Many of our laser lipo ny patients have already been engaged in a healthy lifestyle that includes regular exercise and nutritious eating. These are good habits, but can unfortunately reveal the areas of the body that aren’t responding to weight loss and exercise.
For women, certain areas of the body such as the tummy, hips, buttocks and thighs can still look flabby or out of shape, even though everything possible has been done.
In men, areas such as the belly and love handles can be of particular concern. Men and women differ in their problem areas and it’s very hard to see how frustrated our patients are when they come in to see us.
We hear things like, “It’s just not fair that I work out every single day and I still have these ugly saddlebags!” and “I cut down on my beer drinking and started running but I still look like I have a beer gut.” Genetics can also play a role in which places our bodies accumulate fat stores.
For other patients who decide that laser liposuction is right for them, their lifestyle habits may be exactly what led them to need liposuction in the first place. Usually, it is because they have led a sedentary lifestyle for an extended amount of time. If our SmartLipo Long Island & NYC patients aren’t more than 25 pounds overweight (we do make certain exceptions) but are unhappy with certain areas, then liposuction may be an ideal solution.
With laser liposuction, the results are an improvement no matter your shape or size to begin with. You may not end up with a bikini or underwear model body after laser lipo, but we can guarantee that you will have a smoother and more contoured body.
Though there is permanent removal of the fat cells in the treated areas, we always emphasize to our patients that they need to exercise regularly and eat well after their procedure to maintain their new body. The treated areas are left with just the right amount of fat cells to contour and shape the area. However, if a patient gains weight, the remaining fat cells will fill with fat again, producing an increase in size.
It is the group of our laser lipo NY patients who dedicate themselves to regular fitness and maintain their weight that experience the best results. In fact, according to a study done in 2004 by the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas (UTSMCD ), patients who ate healthy and exercised were 10 times more likely to be happy with their post-lipo results two years later.
It is important to note that the opposite is also true. The study also found that when healthy habits were not a part of a patient’s post-lipo lifestyle, they gained 5 or more pounds in the two years that followed.
Dr. Rob Rohrich, the medical director of the study done at UTSMCD emphasized, “I tell patients that I’m doing the easy part for them. But it’s only one part, and the rest is diet and exercise.”
That’s why we routinely explain to our patients that liposuction is a compliment to an already-healthy lifestyle; not a weight loss tool. Here are some general guidelines for how to keep your liposuction results:
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Water helps flush out fat and toxins from the body and aids in digestion, weight loss, and the appearance of your skin.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables instead of processed foods. Processed foods are packed with extra calories because they usually have high amounts of fat and sugar in them. Additionally, processed foods can contain too much sodium which can lead to water retention and a bloated appearance.
- Eat whole grains rather than white flour products. Whole grains are more slowly digested and contain fiber which gives you that full feeling even longer and can help you maintain your weight.
- Practice moderation with sweets. Splurging now and again is something to look forward to and can help you to not “fall off the diet wagon” if you are trying to lose weight. It keeps you from feeling deprived and can be a great way to stay motivated to eat healthy the rest of the time.
- If you need nutritional advice, menu ideas or help with how many calories you should be eating daily, see a Registered Dietitian or nutritionist for help.
We hope that after liposuction, you will make healthy choices and do not gain weight after your procedure. It makes perfect sense, right? With just a little effort, your laser liposuction results can go a long way!
Contact us today or call 631-499-1831, or 212-206-0023 to schedule a free consultation. Visit us at one of our laser lipo NY offices in Long Island or Manhattan.
*The information on this page is not intended to be used as medical advice in any way. Always consult with your doctor for any health related concerns and before starting a new diet or exercise program. Smartlipo is a trademark of Cynosure, Inc.